I am very intersted in textile prints and therefore for this project I will be producing many of my own prints. My main research will be based on Pop Art, Optical Art and physchadelic patterns. I will also be looking at Islamic designs and calligraphy and I hope to get inspiration from this research to create some striking prints and interesting garment designs.

Saturday 24 November 2007

Optical Art

Optical Art is a method of painting relating to the interaction between illusion and picture plane, between understanding and seeing. Op art works are abstract, with many of the more popular pieces made in only black and white. When they are looked at by the veiwer, the impression is given of movement, hidden images, flashing and vibration, patterns, or alternatively, of swelling or warping.
For part of my research I am looking at Optical Art and different Optical Illusions. I love the effect optical illusions create and how the simple use of black and white lines can produce many different illusions. Shown below are some of the images I collected whilst researching this topic.
Cover from Vogue, Vol. 145, No.10, June 1965, featuring the article: "Pow! Op goes the Art, Op goes the fashion. Now, Op goes the makeup".


Photograph of woman wearing a Positive Negative dress by Getulio Alviani at an exhibition of his work. Blaze 3, Bridget Riley

Photograph of The Who wearing an Optical Illusion printed T-shirt.